Activities/ What to do in Mafia?
- Chole&Jibondo Tour:A good place to start exploring Mafia archipelago, especially around the crumbling ruins, dating back in the 19th century. Chole is also what is probably the East Africa’s only Fruit Bat Sanctuary!Sparsely vegetated Jibondo is less aesthetically appealing than Mafia’s other islands, and its inhabitants are traditionally unwelcoming towards visitors. However, it is intriguing in that it supports a population
- Cycling tour: This is the best way ofexploring the island to see the normalway of life of the local people – this way you will be able to see how they manage their land and depend entirely on nature.
- Walks and bird watching:All walks in Mafia are enjoyable as the people of Mafia are friendly and do not harass visitors for any gifts or money. Bird watching in Mafia adds a very interesting dimension to a Tanzania wildlife safari, as the visitor will see many species of shorebird that cannot be observed in the main land game parks and reserves.
- Scuba diving & Snorkeling: Mafia Island and its reefs are renowned as an excellent, world-class diving destination!
Mafia has some of the richest reefs in the world, with an unparalleled variety of hard and soft corals and diversity of tropical fish. Whale sharks can be seen at any one time: males, females and juveniles, all beautifully marked with stripes and spots.
The larger sharks are estimated to measure over 8 m long, so they are an impressive sight next to the boat, and quite stunning under the water.
- Kayaking, Sailing & fishing:Mafia offer professional fishing for all species, including fly fishing for sailfish, wahoo, giant trevalley, barracuda, kingfish and a variety of tunas
- Boat excursions & picnics: There are a variety of beaches and sand bars within a short distance of Kinasi in Chole Bay such as Miewe, Mvinje, Marimbani Sand Bar, Mchangani….further away are Kitutia and Mange reefs, which are all-day excursions and usually arranged by your lodge/ resort.
Interested with Mafia beach? Don’t hesitate to contact us! We will work on your personalizeditinerary based on your preference and budget! CONTACT US NOW!